Five Hour Stew
- 2 pounds cubed beef chuck roast
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 2 onions, sliced into rings
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Burgundy wine
- 3 tablespoons tapioca
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups canned potatoes
- 1 (5 ounce) can water chestnuts
- 2 cups canned mushrooms, drained
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
- Combine the cubed chuck, carrots, onions, brown sugar, wine, tapioca, tomatoes, tomato sauce in a large baking dish. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake at 250 degrees F (120 degrees C) for 4 hours. Remove from oven and add stir in the potatoes, water chestnuts and mushrooms.
- Raise oven temperature to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 1 more hour.